Monday, October 17, 2005

Marzipan Babies...NOT!

Well, thanks to Ryan, an intrepid listener, I have been made aware that the marzipan babies are not marzipan at all. While I don't like being one to spread misinformation, I'm glad that I was wrong here. As I said in the podcast, there's something extremely disquieting about the notion of edible babies. He sent along a link to an urban legend busting webpage which dispels the myth:

"Fortunately, we don't have to ponder the deeper meaning of the symbolism here, because the items pictured above are not made of marzipan, nor are they edible. They're 2- to 5-inch sculptures created by artist Camille Allen (including some entries from her Shell Baby line of miniatures), and they're made from Prosculpt polymer clay and mohair. Definitely not the kind of thing most of us would find palatable."

1 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, October 18, 2005, Blogger ReMARKable Palate said...

you're welcome Julianna. I was bothered by it at first too. I was wondering myself who would order these to be put on a cake in the first place. I suppose marziapan cartoon characters would be easier to get people to munch on, but not realistic-looking babies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.