Friday, December 29, 2006

A Gilded Year

My Chef's Table reflection on the end of a great year...

What a year it’s been for me! Twelve months ago I was in paradise, but also in a small version of hell: I was working as a private chef for a billionaire, traveling back and forth between New York City and a private island in the Caribbean on a tricked-out 727. What a glamorous life, eh? Well, actually, when you’re the one charged with making it glamorous, it’s not exactly a walk in the park.

As a huge fan of the work that Jennifer was doing, I had been contributing recipes and articles to this site in between jet-set jaunts. I came to realize that I was much more excited about what was happening on these pages than anything I was making for unappreciative rich people, no matter that I had an unlimited food budget. Being told by an aging British Aristocrat that my exquisite Mixed Seafood in Ginger Broth with Confetti Vegetables “looked lovely but smelled horrible” confirmed for me that I would much rather spend my time with true epicures than classless wealthy people with no taste.

When Jennifer told me that she was planning on some major changes for the Gilded Fork, my yearning to be a bigger part of it became even greater, so I made the choice to leave behind the life of a jet-setting private chef and return to what I love. It’s been one of the best choices of my life. I was so honored that Jennifer would take me on as a business partner, and that she was so open to some of the innovations I was excited to introduce to the Gilded Fork.

Read the rest of the article HERE.

, , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, December 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I just found your blog after listening to your podcast for about a year now, keeps me company on my travels through Asia. Just wanted to wish you a happy new year and keep up the good work.

Nolan Ledarney.

http://chefledarney.wordpress.com/

 
At 12:53 AM, January 01, 2007, Blogger ReMARKable Palate said...

Thanks, Chef Nolan! Happy New Year to you, too.

I was excited to read your blog and see the photos of your gorgeous food. Please keep us up to date on your doings, and send an audio comment for me to play on the podcast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.