Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wow, maybe Whole Foods isn't so bad...

I have been slow to jump on the Whole Foods bandwagon. I have always thought their prices are way too high, and I get the wierdest feeling of granola conformity while there. However, I do shop there for specific products I have a hard time finding elsewhere, or when my clients live nearby and insist on organic foods.

But this article on Accidental Hedonist really made me think: Maybe I haven't been giving them their due as a revolutionary upstart. While their prices may be high, there is a cost to bucking the system and bringing us products we may not otherwise ever get to see.

It's also interesting to note that Whole Foods won't stock any product that doesn't conform to their standards and fit into their food philosophy. I like this free market view. We have come to think of the free market as anyone having the right to compete on a level playing field. But it really means that any merchant has the right to offer what they want to offer, and they will find their customers in the free market, by the consumer making the choice. I admire that Whole Foods has their belief in what they will and will not sell, and they stick to it, regardless of pressure from corporations. If I want stuff that doesn't conform to their rigid standards, I can get that junk everywhere else!

Read Kate's Blog. She has a great style! http://www.accidentalhedonist.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.