Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sauteed Chicken over Wilted Spinach with Kumquat Sauce

I adapted this from a recipe I found in Gourmet magazine. I was in possesion of some beautiful kumquats, and needed a recipe to use them up, so I chanced upon this one. It turned out wonderfully, and is a great winter citrus recipe.


Ingredients:

6 kumquats
2 shallot
4 boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water
6 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
8 cups packed spinach leaves

Preparation:

Thinly slice the kumquats, removing seeds. Slice the shallots. Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and melt the butter. When foam subsides, season chicken with salt and pepper and saute, 5 minutes, until golden brown. Turn chicken and saute on second side until cooked through, another 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Cook shallot in remaining butter, until softened, about 1 minute. Sprinkle sugar over shallot and cook for another minute or so, until the sugar melts and starts to caramelize. Do not stir. Once the sugar starts to caramelize, add the kumquats, water, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Simmer until the sugar dissolves completely, stirring regularly. Add parsley, and season to taste with salt. Simmer until the sauce reaches desired consistency. Remove most of the sauce to a small bowl, and add the spinach to the remaining sauce, until just wilted.

To serve, divide spinach between the plates, and top with chicken, spooning sauce over the chicken.

4 servings

4 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Harlan said...

Hi Mark. I just made this dish this evening -- fantastic! Thank you very much for posting it! One question about cooking chicken breasts... I've been getting this Murray's organic chicken breasts from the local butcher, and they're huge! Like, almost the size of turkey breasts! They're close to 2" thick, and they take something like 12 minutes to cook through in a saute pan. Needless to say, after 12 minutes, the chicken gets a bit overdone. Would you suggest pounding the chicken breasts flatter? Or should I try to find another source for chicken? None of my cookbooks suggest pounding chicken breasts, so I'm not sure if it's a bad idea or not... Thanks!

 
At 12:08 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger ReMARKable Palate said...

Thanks for the comment, Harlan. I think this topic deserves a full post, so I'm taking your comment into a new post and answering it there. Check it out. :-)

 
At 4:20 PM, January 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend made this recipe and sent me a serving. thought my fresh mint chicken picatta was the best chicken recipe but this beats it. I have a beautiful little kumquat tree that was loaded with fruit this year and I'm so glad to find a recipe to use the fruit. I made lots of kumquat marmalade. Thanks for posting this recipe. I've already thanked my friend.
mj

 
At 8:14 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger ReMARKable Palate said...

Yes, this is definitely the time of year for kumquats, and you are very lucky to have a tree of your own. Here in New York, I'm limited to buying small amounts of $4 per pint.

Glad you liked it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.