Saturday, September 03, 2005

Out of Doors Cooking Demo

Well folks, it was a sunny, mild afternoon here in Upper Manhattan, and I was inspired at the Greenmarket to do three different dishes. I started the day with a Turkey Sausage Scramble:



I used a spicy Italian style Turkey sausage from Di Paola Turkey Farm in Trenton NJ, and cooked it up with some garlic, scallions and herbs, and finished it off with organic free-range eggs from Patrick Farms. (Di Paola's booth can be seen behind my right shoulder, and Patrick Farms behind my left shoulder!)

The next dish I made will be familiar to regular readers of the blog: Calabacitas. This New Mexican style dish was a perfect dish for the greenmarket, as every ingredient was available in the market today, except for the black beans.



Next I showed the people gathering how to make Vietnamese Summer Rolls. You can put just about anything in these rolls, but today I kept them simple and vegetarian, and filled them with cucumbers, carrots and lettuce from Hawthorne Valley Farm, as well as some fresh herbs and rice noodles:




I served the rolls with a traditional nuoc cham nem dipping sauce from Vietnam. It's made with rice vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, red chiles, shredded carrots and shredded papaya.




It was a fun day, and I enjoyed meeting so many of the great people that came out to enjoy the great weather and the great local foods!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.