Friday, June 15, 2007

CSA meal of the week

Now that the CSA season has begun, and I'm getting a batch of fruits and vegetables every Thursday whether I want them or not (I assure you I always want them), it's time to challenge myself to create whole meals using mostly the veggies of the week. As you saw yesterday, I wolfed down the strawberries, so I couldn't use those for dinner, but I still had a bunch of arugula (even after the arugula salad with strawberries and balsamic), so I used our O-Hitashi recipe from last month, and instead of spinach, I used arugula, which made for a REALLY great variation.

I also used the fresh scallions (which had such a pungent yet rounded earthy flavor, not the piercing sharpness of standard supermarket scallions), and made an asian inspired scallion quinoa. I just threw a cup of quinoa into the rice cooker with 2 cups of vegetable broth, a few garlic cloves, a few chopped scallions, and a splash each of olive oil, soy sauce, rice vinager, and the secret ingredient, sweet Japanese peach vinegar. I find that the rice cooker is the best way to cook quinoa, as it achieves just the right amount of fluffiness. Perhaps it's my technique, but I just am not always able to achieve that cooking quinoa on the stovetop. What's more, the bottom gets just a little caramelized, and when I take it out, I can gently scrape away the crust at the bottom for some caramelized chewy bits.

YUM.



, , , , , , ,

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, June 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I'll be there in a few minutes. Thanks.

 
At 10:59 PM, June 15, 2007, Blogger Tim Corrimal said...

It sounds fabulous. For lunch today I had the Shrimp Fried Rice from the new Japanese Restaurant that opened in our Whole Foods market on P Street. While it looked very much the same as this, I'm sure yours tasted much better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.