Thursday, June 14, 2007

Strawberry Heaven

I'm in Strawberry heaven right now.

Ah.....

I just had another.

There's nothing quite so satisfying and decadent as enjoying REAL strawberries. Today was the first delivery of our local CSA (that's Community Supported Agriculture, and there will be plenty more about it on these pages in the weeks to come). Those of us with a fruit share each got a quart of strawberries grown by the fine folks at Hawthorne Valley Farm, which is a Demeter certified Biodynamic farm in Ghent, NY. I have to confess that about 1/2 of them were gone by the time I got home. I'm struggling to hold on to the rest for later, when I'll make a sweet balsamic reduction and drip it decadently over sliced strawberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

We also got arugula, lettuce leaves, japanese turnips, dill and scallions in this week's share. I'll be making our Apple & Turnip Soup with Nutmeg Cheddar Breadsticks, Dilled Crab Salad on Artichoke Bottoms, and a simple arugula salad sprinkled with pink Hawaiian sea salt, Spanish extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. When I tasted the arugula, I nearly had an arugulagasm!

, , , , , , ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



©2006-2007 The Gilded Fork, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Culinary Podcast Network™, ReMARKable Palate™, Food Philosophy™, Culinary Roundtable™, Bachelor's Boot Camp™, Cooking from A to Z™,
Welcome to Wine Country™, Pastry Princess™ and The world's first all-food podcast network™ are trademarks of The Gilded Fork, LLC.